Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Reading in bed

The first half of December was hard. I got the flu during finals week and had a stack of grading waiting for me to heal. I managed to get my grading done (miracle!) and then I got what's likely food poisoning, but I'll never know for sure.

In any case, I spent about a week in bed, total. I finished The Lovely Bones, which was a good read up till the end. I felt like it wrapped up too nicely and certainly too quickly. Then I read The Glass Castle, a memoir that had me wanting to kill both parents for neglect. And then for my birthday (on the 23rd) I got Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Wow. It's not a very long book, so I devoured it quickly.

The Road is one of those books that grabs you and haunts you. Great books tap into our fears, and this book did just that. How can a parent protect a child? How can we fight death? And how can we do both when the world itself is dying? This is a book I'll read again.

Next up is Vonnegut's Timequake. We have a storm coming in--and I love to nestle in bed and read while the rain pours down.

What about writing? Ah yes. I'm doing a bit of that, too. I'm excited because I'll be spending four days of writing--alone--in mid-January. Lots of work to do, but any progress is good progress.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chard said...

Food poisoning. Yuck. It always seems to unfair to me that you can never be quite sure it's food poisoning. Though I've been pretty sure several times, and it's one of the many reasons I will not eat at McDonald's anymore if I can avoid it.

Anyway, my sympathy.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home